Pages

The Brown Family

The Brown Family
The Browns, Jim, Monica, Weston, Joseph, Timothy, Christianna, Elaina, Victoria, Alonna and Joshua. WELCOME TO OUR BLOG!

5/5/11

When I was Vegan (no foods from animal products)

Earlier this month I was asked by a friend my thoughts about eating vegan and raw. She had a friend that is a new vegan. Here is my reply:
I did strict vegan for about three years and it was great in so many ways – I enjoyed it, I learned a TON and I tried so many things I had never had before.  The diet was very good for me, but it wasn't something I could see maintaining longterm.  (I have a husband, children and extended family and friends – ha ha. I can only do so much to help them and I don't want to make them crazy in the process)  Also, because I am a Christian and I read the Bible, I "see" where God supplied so many good foods for his people and those foods include healthy meats and dairy.  So I still limit both of those items – but I see them as nourishing and not as "dead food" or "killer food (as some vegans might think)"  I hope that makes sense.  
There is a scripture in Proverbs that says goat milk is for the nourishment of your household. . .so that is just one example. .I am not going to argue with scripture. . .and I am glad because it allows for more variety than a strict vegan diet.  When God gave the Israelites a land "flowing with milk and honey" and He owns the "cattle on a thousand hills" I think there is a reason beyond just using the animal for clothing, etc.  I think God provided the animals for meat and milk (fresh milk if possible, and at a minimum, organic)
What caused me to go vegan in the first place was the claim that doing so would cure almost anything that was wrong with me, physically.  I have found that to be true and I see vegan (especially if we are talking about a large portion of the diet being, raw vegan) to be very cleansing.  Fasting is also an incredible way to benefit the body.  The Bible says fasting is a "wellspring of life."  So I think there are tremendous benefits to getting off of junk food and processed foods and getting on a vibrant, life-giving diet.  I think it is so sad that diet can be so divisive.  Some of my relatives were never supportive. . .I had terrible digestion and pain each month with my cycle – both of these issues cleared up with the vegan/fresh diet. .. I think people would rather just do what they want and they don't want to try new things and often, they are contrary to those who are trying to make a change.  I wonder if your friend is trying to change something that has been bothering her?  If so, I would say support her and encourage her and I imagine she will balance out in the long run.  Pray for her. . .that's the very best thing you can do.

1 comment:

Ralph said...

I appreciate this post. Very balanced from a biblical and Christian view: "stop calling unclean what God has declared clean".

Apparently with the loss of the water canopy at the global flood, life changed and thus man was permitted and thus invited to add meat to his diet.

Good points!